Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ghanese greeting song

The dancers have been starting each day of rehearsal with an hour-long Pilates, stretch and yoga warm up, which has included generating mindful positive thoughts, flicking off any negative thoughts or words that people say, cutting any chords of negativity and finishing with a group ohm and a Ghanaian greeting song... complete with actions.

(Not sure if this is the correct English spelling of the Ghanese language)

Sofia alahfia ah shay ah shay
Sofia alahfia ah shay ah shay (repeated)

Translated in English...

With my mind I great you
(both hands reach to the head then stretch out forward)
With my words I greet you
(both hands reach for the mouth then stretch out forward)
With my heart I greet you
(both hands placed one on top of the other on the left side of the chest then stretch out forward)
And there's nothing up my sleeve.
(the left arm bends with palms facing towards the body and fingers facing up while the right hand brushes down the left forearm from the finger tips to the elbow and repeats, then the same thing is done with the opposite arm and hand).

Whenever a new person joined the rehearsal, the Ensemble would welcome them with this greeting song.

No comments:

Post a Comment